7 years ago
September 05, 2008
Tomato Zucchini Pie
This recipe was created because I had a loaf of bread that hadn't risen correctly, and a huge amount of garden vegetables that needed to be used before they turned bad. Luckily, they all came together in a delicious meal!
-3 or 4 slices bread
-1/2 cup + 3 T milk
-2 T olive oil
-2 small zucchinis, sliced thinly
-5 medium tomatoes
-3/4 cup onion (or 3 T dried onion)
-3.5 oz goat cheese
-2 T oregano
-2 T basil
1. Butter a 2 1/2 qt. casserole dish.
2. Line with bread (I used wheat, but French or Italian would be good too!). Soften with 1/2 cup milk.
3. Bake at 425 F for 5 min. Bread should be browned, but not burnt! Leave the oven at 425 F.
4. Sauté zucchinis and onions in olive oil.
5. While they cook down, slice and seed the tomatoes. This is important, because the seeds will make the pie soupy.
6. Once the zucchini and onion are softened, mix with tomatoes. Reserve a few tomatoes for the top.
7. Pour vegetable mixture into the casserole, covering bread.
8. Crumble goat cheese over the vegetables.
9. Whisk egg, 3 T milk, oregano, and basil.
10. Pour egg mixture over vegetables. Top with remaining tomatoes.
11. Bake at 425 F for 30-35 minutes until the egg is set and the tomatoes on top are slightly shriveled.