October 02, 2009

Pear and Rhubarb Sauce


Living alone can be challenging when it comes to cooking- what do you do with all the leftovers? I like to make meals that freeze well, so I can make a bunch and stick some in the freezer for the days I don't feel like cooking.

While it's not the greatest picture, what you see above is a jar of pear and rhubarb sauce ready to head into the freezer. With a consistency like apple sauce, this can be eaten alone or as a topping for oatmeal, etc. I created this recipe out of necessity because I had a bag of pears I was afraid would go bad before I could eat them all, and fresh picked rhubarb that needed to get used as well. Voilà!


Ingredients:
-16 ripe anjou pears, peeled, cored and chopped
-12 medium stalks rhubarb, chopped
-2 cups water
-1/4 cup lemon juice
-1/4 cup agave nectar*


Directions:
1. In a large pot, combine all ingredients. Slowly bring to a simmer.
2. Stirring occasionally, cook until pears become soft and rhubarb begins to fall apart, about 10 minutes.
3. For a chunky sauce, use a potato masher to break apart pear pieces. For a smoother sauce, use an immersion blender to purée the pears and rhubarb.



*You may want to use more agave nectar for a sweeter sauce. I like the tang of the rhubarb to stand out!

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Ha ha, us and our seldom updated food blogs...

This looks really good! I actually have a lot of pears that are going to go bad soon if I don't use them up. Do you think it would just be blah with only pears and no rhubarb (I love it but don't have it)?

Rachel said...

No, I think pear sauce would be lovely! I was actually going to make it with just pears, but I had just picked some rhubarb at my mom's house and needed to use it up.