January 30, 2009

Raw Mediterranean Kale Salad



Recently, I went to a raw foods class at Whole Foods, taught by Chef Mehmet Ak. He taught us how to create four amazing dishes, including this kale salad. I'm not a big fan of raw greens, so I wasn't sure if I'd like this salad. I was pleasantly surprised- it's delicious!

Ingredients:
-2 small bunches dinosaur kale (aka lacinato or blue kale), stems removed
-3/4 tsp. sea salt or tamari
-2 T. extra virgin olive oil
-2 T. lemon juice
-3/4 tsp. black pepper
-1/4 cup pine nuts
-1/4 cup golden raisins, soaked 10 min, drained and rinsed

Directions:
1. Stack two (or more) leaves of kale together and roll tightly. Cut the kale crosswise into very thin strips. Repeat with remaining kale leaves. Add 1/2 tsp. of sea salt and massage the kale well with your hands, in order to soften the kale. (Really rub the kale together. The kale will change color slightly, having the appearance of being blanched). Add the lemon juice, olive oil, remaining sea salt, and black pepper, and toss well with your hands, working the dressing into the greens. Gently toss in pine nuts and raisins.

Variations:
1. Substitute 1/4 cup sliced kalamata olives for the raisins.
2. Eliminate the raisins and pine nuts. Add diced tomato and avocado.
3. Add agave nectar and curry powder to taste.*


*This is the variation that I prepared. Spicy, slightly sweet, and super healthy!

2 comments:

Christine said...

Do you think it would work with regular kale? Cos I highly doubt I could find the dino kind.

Christine said...

Also, you say sea salt OR tamari - can you really rub the kale with soy sauce, and it will still work?

Anyway, if I can use regular kale I will try this! (Except without pine nuts since I'm allergic).