February 10, 2009

Roasted Red Pepper Soup


The recipe for this soup comes from my lovely friend Ashley's food blog. I made a few changes (mostly out of necessity), but it's pretty much the same. It's a very simple recipe, but the results are delicious. Smooth and creamy, and chock full of vegetables, I have a feeling this is going to become one of my favorite recipes.


Ingredients:
-2 T. olive oil
-1 small onion, chopped
-2 carrots, sliced
-1 red potato, cubed
-About 15 oz. of roasted red bell peppers, drained and chopped*
-4 cups vegetable stock
-1 t. agave nectar


Directions:
1. Sauté the onion and carrot in the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
2. Once the onion is soft, add the broth, potato, and peppers. Bring to a boil, then down to a fast simmer. Cover partially and simmer for 25 minutes or so, until the potatoes are tender.
3. Once the potatoes are cooked, add the agave nectar. Pour the soup into a blender (in batches if needed) and blend it up (or use an immersion blender if you have one). Pour back into the pot and serve!

I sprinkled some roasted sunflower seeds over the top, and Ashley served hers with some homemade croutons. Yum!


*I didn't have a jar of roasted red pepper on hand, so I just roasted some myself. Two medium peppers worked perfectly.

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Yum, glad you liked it! Isn't it so healthy? We roasted a bunch of red peppers this summer and froze some. Roasting your own is actually really easy.